7. Sumatra Holiday XL
This Sumatra EcoTravel package is perfect for those who want to experience all the highlights of Northern Sumatra by combining the adventures of jungle trekking with a visit to the famous orangutan feeding platform in Bukit Lawang, elephant riding in Tangkahan, the experience of Batak culture at Lake Toba, a climb up to the Sibayac Vulcano in Berastagi followed by a relaxing stay on a beautiful quiet beach on the island of Pulau Weh in Aceh province.
- DAY 01: Pickup by air-con taxi from Medan (airport/hotel) and transport to Bukit Lawang (3 hours): driver, petrol. Check in to your hotel in Bukit Lawang: Ecolodge, Orangutan Room, with bathroom, patio with garden view, breakfast
- DAY 02/03: "Overnight Jungle Adventure" (2-day trek) in the Gunung Leuser National Park: 1 night on a campsite in the jungle , stop at the Sumatran orangutan feeding platform & traditional tube rafting down the Bohorok River back to Bukit Lawang after trekking: includes English speaking guides, entrance permit in the national park, porter, rafting skipper, cook, all food and drinking water while trekking , all equipment (tent, mattress, sleeping bag, tubes). Starts at 8:30 am. After trekking overnight stay in Bukit Lawang: Ecolodge, Orangutan Room, with bathroom, patio with garden view, breakfast
- DAY 04: Cultural village exploration by traditional becak (1/2 day tour): Guided tour along rice fields, rubber plantations and through the unique villages surrounding Bukit Lawang to Kampung Bukit. Display of the production of brown sugar, tofu, rubber or bamboo weaving; includes fruits, guide, driver, petrol. Starts at 09:00 am. Overnight stay in Bukit Lawang: Ecolodge, Orangutan Room, with bathroom, patio with garden view, breakfast
- DAY 05: "Tangkahan Off Road Adventure" (1-day tour): Off road tour by rustic Indonesian 4-wheel drive to Tangkahan (2,5 hours / note: no air-con!), 1 hour elephant ride and a lot of fun while washing the elephants in the Buluh River, operated by our partner CRU/LPT Tangkahan: includes local lunch, entrance permit for the national park, local guide (CRU/LPT Tangkahan), driver, petrol. Starts at 08:30 am. Overnight stay in Bukit Lawang: Ecolodge, Orangutan Room, with bathroom, patio with garden view, breakfast
- DAY 06: Overland transport by aircon-taxi from Bukit Lawang to the Lake Toba (1-day tour): On the way stops at several places in the Karo Highlands if required: traditional Batak Karo village at Berastagi, the old kings palace Pematang Purba and the Sipiso-Piso waterfall; driver, petrol, all entrance fees on the way to Parapat, boat tickets (one way!) from Parapat harbour to Samosir Island. Starts at 07:00 am. Check in to your hotel on Samosir Island: Tabo Cottages, Batak Villa, with bathroom, balcony and lake view, breakfast buffet
- DAY 07/08: Spend your 2 days of leisure time on Samosir island swimming, relaxing and just enjoying the beautiful scenery or why not try and explore the island? Our partner Tabo Cottages will love to organise tours and trekking around the lake, if required. Don't miss a traditional Batak dance at the cultural center in Simanindo and the historic Batak king's residence at Ambarita. Our partner Tabo Cottages offers also a memorable ecotour which helps the ecosystem of Lake Toba by adopting a tree and educating local children. All tours can be booked after arrival! You can also rent a motorbike and travel around by yourself.
- DAY 09: Pickup at Parapat harbour, transport by aircon-taxi to Berastagi (4 hours) and stop at the famous fruit market in Berastagi before checking into your hotel; driver, petrol. Starts at 11:00 am. Accommodation in Berastagi: Sibayak Multinational Resthouse, Standard Room with bathroom, balcony with garden view, local breakfast
- DAY 10: Climb Sibayak volcano mountain (2 - 3 hours): Trek up the summit of Sibayak to the crater edge, relax in the famous hot springs after the vulcano hike, operated by Sibayak Multinational team: includes transport to the starting point of the volcano trek (30 min), pickup at the hot springs and transport back to your guesthouse, guide. Starts at 09:00 am. Overnight stay in Berastagi: Sibayak Multinational Resthouse, Standard Room with bathroom, balcony with garden view, local breakfast
- DAY 11: Transport by air-con taxi direct back to Medan airport (3 hours). Starts at 05:00 am, driver, petrol
Please book your flight online by yourself!:
Medan - Bandah Aceh (09:35 - 10:35 am; Garuda 142)
Pickup by taxi from airport in Banda Aceh at 10:35 am and transport for lunch in Freddies restaurant, Citytour (Baiturrahman Mosque, Tsunami Museum), transport to the Uleh-Lee harbour, tickets for the fast ferry to Pulau Weh (16:00 pm, 45 minutes), pickup by taxi at Pulau Weh harbour. Check in to your hotel on Pulau Weh: Freddies Santai Sumur Tiga, Bungalow/Room right on the beach with balcony and sea view, bathroom, breakfast buffet
- DAY 12 -17: Spend your 6 days of leisure time on Pulau Weh at Freddies Santai Sumur Tiga relaxing, swimming, snorkelling, diving or why not try and explore the island? Our partner Freddie will love to organise tours and diving for you, if required. You can also rent a motorbike and travel around by yourself. Don't miss a visit at the famous Iboih Coral Garden and Kilometer Zero, the northern most point of the Indonesian archipelago.
- DAY 18: Transport by taxi to Pulau Weh harbour, tickets for the fast ferry to Banda Aceh (08:00 am, 45 minutes), pickup at Uleh-Lee harbour and transport to Banda Aceh airport.
Package excludes: camera tax for the Gunung Leuser Nationalpark (50.000 IDR/camera & 150.000 IDR/video camera), storage room fee for big luggage while trekking (20.000 IDR/bag/payable to your guesthouse); porter for luggage from/to taxi stop from/to your guesthouse in Bukit Lawang if required (20.000 IDR/bag/payable to a local porter); boat tickets from Samosir Island ack to Parapat (10.000 IDR/person/payable on the boat); lunch, dinner and drinks while staying in Bukit Lawang, Samosir Island (Lake Toba) and Pulau Weh; breakfast, lunch, dinner and drinks while staying in Berastagi; flights, visas and insurances
Price per Person:
798 Euro / 2 pax
Note: We can tailor this trip to suit your specific requirements!