5. Bukit Lawang & Pulau Weh: Jungle meets beach
Dream to the rainforest melodies and one day later bubble through coral reefs and deep canyons spotting unforgettable marine life in the Indian Ocean. Sumatra EcoTravel presents the fantastic combination of jungle exploring and island experience. The "Jungle Meets Beach"-package is created for our guests who like to experience the Gunung Leuser National Park by a memorable jungle-trek, to visit the famous Tangkahan elephants and to relax at a lonely beach on the tropical island Pulau Weh.
- DAY 01: Pickup by air-con taxi from Medan (airport/hotel) and transport to Bukit Lawang (3 hours): petrol, driver. Check in to your hotel in Bukit Lawang: Ecolodge, Orangutan/Thomas Leaf Monkey Room, with bathroom, patio with garden/river view, breakfast
- DAY 02: After breakfast starting your 4 hours warm up "Jungle View Hike" in the Gunung Leuser National Park & stop at the Sumatran orangutan feeding platform. Afterwards explore the impressive cave system of the famous Batcave in Bukit Lawang (1-day tour): includes all entrance permits, english speaking guide, lunch picnic. Starts at 08:00 am. Overnight stay in Bukit Lawang: Ecolodge, Orangutan/Thomas Leaf Monkey Room, with bathroom, patio with garden/river view and breakfast
- DAY 03/04: After breakfast starting your "Overnight Jungle Adventure" (2-day trek) in the Gunung Leuser National Park: 1 night on a campsite in the jungle , stop at the Sumatran orangutan feeding platform & traditional tube-rafting down the Bohorok River back to Bukit Lawang after trekking: includes English speaking guides, entrance permit in the national park, porter, rafting skipper, all food and drinking water while trekking , all equipment for free (tent, mattress, sleeping bag, tubes). Starts at 8:00 am. After trekking overnight stay in Bukit Lawang: Ecolodge, Orangutan/Thomas Leaf Monkey Room, with bathroom, patio with garden/river view, breakfast
- DAY 05: After breakfast starting your "Tangkahan Off Road Adventure" (1-day tour): Off road tour by rustic Indonesian 4-wheel drive to Tangkahan (2,5 hours / note: no air-con!), 1 hour elephant ride and a lot of fun while washing the elephants in the Buluh River, operated by our partner CRU/LPT Tangkahan: includes local lunch, entrance permit for the national park, local guide (CRU/LPT), driver, petrol. Starts at 08:30 am. Overnight stay in Bukit Lawang: Ecolodge, Orangutan/Thomas leaf Monkey Room, with bathroom, patio with garden/river view, breakfast
- DAY 06: Transport by air-con taxi from Bukit Lawang back to Medan airport: petrol, driver.
Starts at 05:30 am
Please book your flight online by yourself!:
Medan - Bandah Aceh (09:35 - 10:45 am; Garuda 142)
- Pickup by air-con taxi from the airport in Banda Aceh at 10:45 am and transport for lunch in Freddies restaurant, Citytour (Baiturrahman Mosque, Tsunami Museum) on the way to the Uleh-Lee harbour, tickets for the fast ferry to Pulau Weh (16:00 pm, 45 minutes), pickup by taxi at Pulau Weh harbour. Check in to your hotel on Pulau Weh Island: Freddies Santai Sumur Tiga, Bungalow right on the beach with balcony and sea view, bathroom, breakfast buffet
- DAY 07 - 12: Spend your 6 days of leisure time on Pulau Weh at Freddies Santai Sumur Tiga relaxing, swimming, snorkelling, diving or why not try and explore the island? Our partner Freddie will love to organise tours and diving for you, if required. You can also rent a motorbike and travel around by yourself. Don't miss a visit at the famous Iboih Coral Garden and Kilometer Zero, the northern most point of the Indonesian archipelago.
- DAY 13: Transport by taxi to Pulau Weh harbour, tickets for the fast ferry to Banda Aceh (08:00 am, 45 minutes), pickup by air-con taxi at Uleh-Lee harbour and direct transport to Banda Aceh airport.
Package excludes: camera tax for the Gunung Leuser Nationalpark (50.000 IDR/camera & 150.000 IDR/video camera), storage room fee for big luggage while trekking (20.000 IDR/bag/payable to your guesthouse), porter for luggage from/to taxi stop from/to your guesthouse in Bukit Lawang if required (20.000 IDR/bag/payable to a local porter), lunch, dinner and drinks while staying in Bukit Lawang & Pulau Weh, visa, insurances, flights
Price per person:
525 Euro / 2 pax
We can tailor this trip to suit your specific requirements - also with transport by nightbus (Express/13 hours)!