Accommodation in Bukit Lawang, Medan, Tangkahan, Berastagi, Lake Toba and Pulau Weh can only be booked in combination with at least one tour of your choice or as a package. Please note that in the Sumatran jungle air con rooms with hot showers are not common. In Bukit Lawang you shouldn't expect a Bali standard! But our choice of guesthouses is a good selection of options for your stay: clean and with reliable service, in natural surroundings, run by propriet with a sense for sustainability or under management of local families worth supporting. Basic standard with friendly local service is offered at Mega Inn in Tangkahan and at Sibayak Multinational in Berastagi. Rather good standard can be expected from Hotel Deli River, Tabo Cottages and Freddie’s - our recommended places to stay in Medan, on Samosir island and on Pulau Weh.
1. Ecolodge: On the other side of the river, cottages and rooms of the Ecolodge provide a comfortable residence. The spacious balconies, terraces and the open layout of the site invite to relax after the "stresses" of a jungle trek. The private setting of the rooms guarantees an unforgettable stay in Bukit Lawang. All rooms are lovingly furnished and the interior's inspired by the natural surroundings. All Lodges are equipped with a private bathroom (cold shower) and are including breakfast for 2 pax (coffee, tea, juice, toast, fruits, eggs or pancake). Note: Rooms are not airconditioned! Safe deposit boxes are available. Up to 2 extra beds/breakfast are possible for families, price 8 Euro/bed/nigh. Delicious restaurant, professional Service!
- Thomas Leaf Monkey Room: 8 comfortable rooms with bamboo furniture, open bathroom with a tropical garden and traditional indonesian shower, balcony with garden/river view, breakfast.
- Orang-Utan Lodge: 6 clean lodges lovely furnished with bamboo, open-air shower, terrace with garden view, breakfast.
- Siamang Lodge: 6 clean lodges with a rural charming bamboo furniture, facing the river, located near an organic garden, terrace with garden view, breakfast.
Price per room/night: 25 Euro
2. Budget accommodation: We are pleased that we can also provide nice and clean rooms for guests travelling on a smaller budget! Our partners Riverside, Garden Inn and Mboy offer simple, fan-equipped rooms, only a 3 minute walk from the entrance of the National Park. All rooms are with balcony, mostly jungle/walking way views, bathroom with cold shower, without breakfast. Please note: Live music on Saturday evening in Indra Inn, so it could be from 09:00 pm - 01:00 am a bit noisy at all these places!
Price per room/night: 12 - 20 Euro
3. Jungle Inn: Located at the top end of Bukit Lawang, right next to the river crossing across from the Bohorok Orangutan Rehabilitation Centre. Each room in Jungle Inn has a balcony with jungle/river view and a different look and feel. All rooms are with attached "jungle-style" bathroom. Note: All Jungle Inn rooms are not airconditioned, hot shower not all day available! Up to 2 extra beds are possible for families, price 5 Euro/matrace/night. Note: Jungle Inn only offer an extra matrace no bed! The Jungle Inn restaurant offers delicious food, room rates are without breakfast!
- Honeymoon Suite (2 rooms available): This unique rooms ensure a memorable stay in Bukit Lawang. Both suites are right at the top of Jungle Inn with a large balcony overlooking the river and the jungle. Open bathroom, large bed with mosquito net, without breakfast.
- Rock Room/ River View Room/Jungle View Room
(12 rooms available): Good rooms with a large balcony overlooking the river and the jungle or cheaper rooms with view to the waterfall behind the guesthouse; open bathroom, large bed with mosquito net, without breakfast.
Price per room/night: 22 - 35 Euro
Hotel Deli River: The Hotel Deli River is a small hotel run by a friendly Dutch-Indonesian family just 12 kilometers outside the historical city of Medan and 20 minutes away from the airport. The Hotel is located in a lush tropical garden area that overlooks the banks of the ancient meandering Deli River. This peaceful place adds a personal touch to service and atmosphere: Two spacious cottages with a total of 8 air conditioned rooms with balcony/patio and private bathroom, including breakfast for 2 pax, free wifi & pickup service from the airport (starts from 15 Euro/one way). The hotel-restaurant "Omlandia" is situated opposite the cottages and offers delicious food. The swimming pool built on the edge of the valley overlooking Deli River creates the right atmosphere to relax from everyday stress. A variety of city tours through historic Medan can be booked in advance if required. The Hotel Deli River is owned and operated by Dirk A. Buiskool and Diana Pardamean who have been providing tour-guide and hospitality services to international guests since 1990.
Price per double room/night: 55 EUR
Mega Inn: Opposite the steep bank of Batang Serang River. It's a very pleasing place with rooms surrounded by a well-kept garden and a small cafe. Simple rooms, beds with mosquito net, Indonesian bathroom (cold shower/Mandi), restaurant. Note: All rooms are not airconditioned! There is no electricity at Tangkahan, but the guesthouse provides electricty starting from 6 pm until 11 pm! Room rates without breakfast!
Price per room/night: 12 Euro
Sibayak Multinational Resthouse: Located on the road to Gunung Sibayak, this guesthouse is popular with volcano trekkers for obvious reasons. All rooms feature western-style bathrooms (hot shower) and balconies. Note: Rooms are NOT airconditioned! The little restaurant offers a clean citchen and the friendly local owners arrange tours, trekking and transportation. Internet is available in the restaurant. Note: Rooms are not airconditioned! During peak season and public holidays all rates are subject to an increase! Room rates are without breakfast!
Price per room/night: 20 Euro
1. Tabo Cottages: Tabo Cottages is situated on the shore of Lake Toba at Samosir surrounded by rice fields and plantations. The unique style of the restaurant and the rooms in the tropical garden make a great atmosphere to get rid of stress. Tabo's latest rooms are situated right by the lake overlooking the spacious lawn, the play ground and the picturesque mountains. The Hotel is owned and professional operated by a German-Indonesian family. All rooms are clean and with attached bathrooms (hot shower), balcony/patio with garden/lake view. A variety of island tours can get booked at the reception, free wifi is available in the laid back restaurant. All rooms are including a delicious breakfast buffet. Note: Rooms are not airconditioned! During peak season and public holidays all rates are subject to an increase!
- Superior/Deluxe room: Spacious rooms with king size or over sized single beds, some have a half open jungle bath room with bath tub others a regular bathroom with shower. They are situated a bit behind and have a fan and a private veranda with garden & restaurant view.
- Batak Villa (2 persons): The unique speciality of the resort. Antique Batak houses are rebuilt to luxury accommodation with a comfortable wooden flair. King size beds, bathtub and hammock on the panorama veranda.
- Junior Suite (2 persons): Located right by the garden with a great lake view. Tee and coffee making facilities. The sofa bed makes it suitable for small families or for three persons.
- Batak Villa (4 persons): A batak house on first floor, 1 bed room on two levels, bathtub, fan, king size beds, loft, panorama view. Steep steps up to the loft!
Price per room/night: 20 - 45 Euro
2. Toba Village Inn: A 3-minute walk from Lake Toba (pier "Sosor Galung"), Toba Village Inn is set amidst natural scenery. It boasts stunning views of the lake and Pusuk Buhit Mountain. Rooms are clean, with private bathroom (hot shower) according to western standard, balcony/patio with garden view and including breakfast. Guests can dine in the comfort of their rooms or at the hotel’s restaurant which serves Indonesian and international cuisine. Free wifi is available. This new guesthouse is owned and operated by a Belgian couple. Note: Rooms are not air conditioned! During peak season and public holidays all rates are subject to an increase!
Price per room/night: 30 Euro
Freddies Santai Sumur Tiga: Freddies Santai Sumurtiga is situated on small sand beach in the northeastern part of Sabang / Pulau Weh - a little piece of paradise in Sumatra! The friendly owner Freddie offers 9 clean beach-bungalows and 3 family rooms on the 3rd level of the main buidling, each with en-suite bathroom (hot water) and balcony with seaview and fitted hammock. All rooms are equiped with a fridge, roof or standing fans, a free coffee and tea station, water dispenser and a safety box. Note: Rooms are not air conditioned! Freddies unique ecoresort is constructed totally with natural materials and is renowend for its cuisine: The delicious ala carte and buffet restaurants with inside and outside dining areas guarantee an unforgettable stay. A variety of tours can be arranged, snorkeling mask and motorbikes to rent, diving can get organized, free wifi is available through out the resort. The beach in front of the resort is a recognised international area where guests of the resort are welcome to use bikinis and western style swim wear.
Price per room/night (bungalows/family rooms): 20 - 25 Euro
1. La Joya Villa & Bungalows: European elegance blends perfectly with classic Balinese hospitality to offer all the comforts of a first-class resort in an exotic location unparalleled on the island of Bali. Nestled above one of the finest natural beaches, far from the maddening tourist crowds of Kuta, yet only 45 minutes from Denpasar International airport, La Joya is a charming boutique resort that offers a unique holiday experience. Overlooking the stunning, un-crowded sandy crescent of Balangan Beach on the Bukit Peninsula it is only a few minutes from the timeless temple of Ulu Watu. The resort offers beautiful accommodation in its luxury bungalows and Villa Gajah, all of which are traditionally thatched with Alang-Alang, a tropical grass. The restaurant offers panoramic views of the Indian Ocean. The resort is only a few steps above the beach. Free Wifi. Note: During peak season and public holidays all rates are subject to an increase!
- Standard Bungalows: The resort offers eight free-standing circular bungalows, all of which have been designed to holistically combine traditional Balinese elegance with modern convenience and comfort. Each bungalow sits in its own small tropical garden and features a lounging deck. All bungalows have air-condition as well as full en-suite European bathrooms. Mosquito nets allow you to leave the bungalow open to the ocean breeze if you prefer. Bungalows also feature safes for your valuables and mini-bars.
- Villa Gajah: The Villa Gajah is a two-storey building with six entirely private, separate rooms, two of which are elevated. A villa by name only, these rooms are akin to private hotel rooms. The villa is ideal for small groups traveling together but in need of separate rooms. It is equally suited to couples and families for their private stay. All Deluxe rooms are equipped with king-sized beds, full European bathrooms, air-conditioning and mosquito nets. Each room has its private lush tropical garden.
Price per room/night: 75 - 95 Euro