Our Eco Tourism Policy
Eco tourism provides a big potential to take responsibility for the preservation of wildlife and plants as well as a sustainable livelihood for local communities around protected areas. But it must always be ensured that tourism impact happens in a controlled and sensitive manner.
- EcoTravel Bukit Lawang is a specialist for individual travel in Gunung Leuser National Park, in North Sumatra and in the Aceh province.
- EcoTravel Bukit Lawang has committed itself, environmentally and socially, to ecological and responsible outdoor adventures.
- EcoTravel Bukit Lawang started in July 2012 the first waste collection in the Gunung Leuser National Park in cooperation with the local NGO Wisata Asri Bukit Lawang. Until today we are the only tour operator and guesthouse in Bukit Lawang which invests a lot for clean jungle and safety of guests.
- EcoTravel's Bukit Lawang main focus is on protecting the orangutans in Gunung Leuser National Park not only by offering standard treks to our red-haired cousins, but also showing the guests the natural beauties of the livelihood of the orangutans and the cultural richness of the region.
- EcoTravel Bukit Lawang developed its first village fund in Mai 2011, which is to benefit the whole community and also to help them saving up for any future community investments.
- EcoTravel Bukit Lawang also sets up income directly for the local people in return for food, guiding, accommodation, transport and activities.
- EcoTravel Bukit Lawang is supporting the self-sustained Eco tourism destination Tangkahan and CRU by offering tours to the elephant place at the village.
- EcoTravel Bukit Lawang cooperates in a spirit of partnership with local companies, offices and villagers in the region around the Gunung Leuser National Park in North Sumatra and in the Aceh province.
- EcoTravel Bukit Lawang is a member of "The International Ecotourism Society" (TIES) since January 2012.
- EcoTravel Bukit Lawang believes in responsible tourism, gives special guidance and information about the rainforest to their guests and supports the Sumatran Orangutan Society (SOS).
- EcoTravel Bukit Lawang is supporting the Ecolodge Bukit Lawang in main-partnership by offering accommodation for its guests. As a non-profit organisation all revenues realised by the Ecolodge are put straight back into community development, social programmes and nature conservation.
- EcoTravel Bukit Lawang manages the number of visitors in order to preserve the well-being of the habitat in Gunung Leuser National Park and the specific way of live in the villages around.